Can you copyright dance moves? The foregoing question was one the 2 Milly vs. Fornite lawsuit brought to the forefront in an American federal court.
While that case raised issues about copyright protection for choreographic works, African dance creators created dance moves that went viral, globally. Here are the top 10 African dance styles that went viral in 2018 compiled by 2nacheki. Chances are you have seen some of these moves or even mimicked them without realizing their origins.
Well now you know.
Photo credit: 2Nacheki
- Tobore Ovuorie v. Ebonylife TV: Why Mo Abudu is Most Likely Liable for Copyright Infringement
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company