Afrobeat goes global at MIDEM 2017: Watch Adesope, Banky W, Ropo Akin, Michael Ugwu, & Godwin Tom discuss Nigeria’s music business.
The panel discusses Afrobeats and African music, the growth, and impact it has had worldwide. The opportunities that exist within this genre of music. Afrobeats is the new hip hop and not just a fad not going anywhere. See the impact Afrobeats/African music has had on the charts worldwide from Fuse ODG, to Wiz Kid on Drakes (One Dance) to Dbanj (Oliver Twist) Numbers don’t lie. Major artist/labels music curators have a gold mine within Afrobeats if they organically collaborate with artists within these markets.
Need for the international artist to want and need to try break into African market the way they want to break into Asia market or Latin America market. Africa has the numbers and spend.
– Touring in Africa possibilities
– Afrobeat/African artist adding value to major festivals such as V Festival, Glastonbury etc.
– Why need to collaborate with African artist?
– Movies and TV music placement
– Music consumption within African market
– Merchandising (money left on table)
– Mainstream media
– Mobile Impact in Africa and how it can help increase sales of music worldwide
• Godwin Tom, Talent Manager & Entertainment Business Consultant, The Godwin Tom Company (Nigeria)
• Micheal Ugwu, General Manager West Africa, Sony Music Entertainment (Nigeria)
• Banky Wellington, Artist/Founder, Empire Mates Entertainment Limited (Nigeria)
• Moderator: Adesope Olanrewaju Olajide, Broadcaster, Adesope (UK)