Did Katy Perry Infringe on Christian Rapper Lecrae’s Song ‘Joyful Noise’ with ‘Dark Horse’ ?
California Fashion & Entertainment Lawyer and Founder of Africa Music Law, Ms. Uduak Oduok, takes on the copyright infringement lawsuit filed by Christian rappers Lecrae, Flame et al. against Katy Perry, Capitol Records, Juicy J and other Doe Defendants. Lecrae alleges that Perry infringed on his song ‘Joyful Noise’ released five years before ‘Dark Horse.’ Is it infringement? How do you figure out, as an artist, when someone has infringed on your work? Listen to learn and share.
NOTE: Consult an attorney for your specific situation. The information contained in the Podcast is for educational and informational use only.
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- What is Copyright Law?
- What is a License & Assignment of a Copyright?
- What Constitutes Copyright Infringement?
- What is Fair Use?
- What is De Minimis in Copyright Law?
- What are the Damages Under the US Federal Copyright Act for Artists who Claim Copyright Infringement.
Show Notes & Credits
Credit: Written, Produced & Edited by Uduak Oduok, Esq.
AML Theme Song 1 ‘Delight’: Nigerian-American Producer Kid Konnect
AML Theme Song 2 ‘Africans Modern Mix’: American Producer John Keller
AML Contact & Links
Feedback options: (email@example.com)
Sponsorship and/or Guest Appearances: (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thanks for Listening!
If you enjoyed the show, please share on your social media pages and with friends and family. Also if you have any questions, please feel free to send an email to (email@example.com).
- AML 145: Burna Boy, Wizkid Grammy Wins & What it Means for Africa’s Music Industry
- AML144: #StopAsianHate Roundtable
- AML143: #EndSars Human Rights Lawyers on the Frontline (Panel)
- Tobore Ovuorie v. Ebonylife TV: Why Mo Abudu is Most Likely Liable for Copyright Infringement
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society