Did Katy Perry Infringe on Christian Rapper Lecrae’s Song ‘Joyful Noise’ with ‘Dark Horse’ ?
California Fashion & Entertainment Lawyer and Founder of Africa Music Law, Ms. Uduak Oduok, takes on the copyright infringement lawsuit filed by Christian rappers Lecrae, Flame et al. against Katy Perry, Capitol Records, Juicy J and other Doe Defendants. Lecrae alleges that Perry infringed on his song ‘Joyful Noise’ released five years before ‘Dark Horse.’ Is it infringement? How do you figure out, as an artist, when someone has infringed on your work? Listen to learn and share.
NOTE: Consult an attorney for your specific situation. The information contained in the Podcast is for educational and informational use only.
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- What is Copyright Law?
- What is a License & Assignment of a Copyright?
- What Constitutes Copyright Infringement?
- What is Fair Use?
- What is De Minimis in Copyright Law?
- What are the Damages Under the US Federal Copyright Act for Artists who Claim Copyright Infringement.
Show Notes & Credits
Credit: Written, Produced & Edited by Uduak Oduok, Esq.
AML Theme Song 1 ‘Delight’: Nigerian-American Producer Kid Konnect
AML Theme Song 2 ‘Africans Modern Mix’: American Producer John Keller
AML Contact & Links
Feedback options: (email@example.com)
Sponsorship and/or Guest Appearances: (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thanks for Listening!
If you enjoyed the show, please share on your social media pages and with friends and family. Also if you have any questions, please feel free to send an email to (email@example.com).
- Kenya Music Industry Talks: Life After COVID, What do African Creatives Need to Weather the Impact?
- Nigerian Music Industry Talks: Opportunities for Young Lawyers in the Entertainment Industry
- Nigerian Music Industry Talks: Teemanay, DJ Dee Money, Meaku
- Nigerian Music Industry Talks: Niyi Giggles, Gbenga Solitude, Dokta Frabz, Mathew Ohio
- Nigerian Music Industry Talks: How Kaffy Built Nigeria’s Dance Industry From Ground Up