Is this dude Iyanya for real? How does this man go from a relatively cool sexy brand to this desperately cheap “head swells?” The dude seems so confused and very lost half the time I hear him speak now. Don’t get me started on that Yvonne Nelson rap stunt he pulled in the UK about a month ago.
In this ‘Head Swell’ video, Iyanya is a sharply dressed man who is completely out of place in his own music video; and who appears like he just popped into a room in the dark alleyway of an abandoned street, in Ajegunle, for a quickie.
Beyond the obvious negative and degrading depiction of the Black/Nigerian/African woman in this video, you sorta wonder how a music executive who also manages a female artist and claims to respect women, is okay with this cheap trivialization of his personal brand and image.
Again, Iyanya is lost. I am unsure if it is reflective of him not producing the kind of music he claims he really wants to produce?
These days, he tries way too hard and I frankly don’t see him lasting too long in the industry if he carries on with this.
Over to you guys. Do you agree or disagree with my view? Why?
- AML 150: Mental Health & Substance Abuse in the Afrobeats Music Industry
- AML 149: Intellectual Property, Race and Unjust Music Contracts with Prof. Kevin J. Greene
- AML 148: The Business of Music in Ethiopia with Negus Alemu & Leyla Konjo
- AML 147: Meet Temi Adeniji, MD Warner Music South Africa & SVP, Strategy, Sub-Saharan Africa
- AML 146: Women in “Afrobeats” Music – Eva Alordiah, Weird MC, Joy Tongo