Let’s knock out all the music industry latest news on babies, romance, engagements and upcoming weddings both here in the USA and over in Nigeria. By the way, I must say what a shift when it comes to the public display of affection among Nigerians (celebrities and non-celebrities included). It was not uncommon for married or unmarried couples to act like it was a crime to even hold hands in public. These days, it’s holding hands, kissing and more. In case you missed it, below is a recap of the latest:
1. K-Switch: We now know Genevieve Nnaji and D’banj are now confirmed as going steady, as a couple. Perhaps that served as an incentive for D’banj’s brother, K-switch, to boldly shout out his girlfriend, and for her to reciprocate informing the world of their one year anniversary together. See instagram photos. Congrats.
2. Tiwa Savage and Tee Billz: where K-Switch and his girl leave off, newly weds Tiwa Savage (R &B Singer) and Tee Bilz (Music Manager) take off with some PDA at the recently completed DJ Jimmy Jatt industry nite. It is irrelevant that you have a fellow industry colleague (Mathew Ohio) sitting right in the middle of the two.
3. Cobhams Asuquo: Respected Music Producer and Label Executive recently gave a shout out to his wife in his recent interview with Encomium magazine. “She’s my pillar and strength,” said the ace producer. He also discussed being a daddy and what it means. Read all the details here.
4. Burna Boy: What’s the value of staying with that woman or man that has had your back from day one? For the fellas i.e. your “ride or die chick,” as it is said in slang terms? Burna Boy, one of Nigeria’s hottest music acts, seems to place a high value on it. It’s unclear if the value he places has translated into his actions. 🙂 Nevertheless, he recently took to instagram to share a throw back picture of his first girlfriend and to encourage the fellas to stick with the one that has your back. “16 n inlove…still Stick with your day1 gyal.”
Burna Boy – Abeg, Abeg
5. Peter Okoye: The P-Square fellas are now full blown family men. Peter Okoye recently celebrated his daughter Aliona’s one year old birthday. In attendance at her birthday party was his twin brother Paul Okoye and his family, as well as other family members and a few close friends. Congrats to Aliona.
6. 2Face Idibia: 2Face and Annie Idibia welcomed their baby Olivia Idibia on January 4th, 2014. Two weeks later, the proud daddy shared a picture on social media with his fans and the public alike. I love the name Olivia, it is very cute. Olivia is 2Face’s 7th child, and the second child for Annie. Congrats to the couple.
7. Kaffy: The Celebrity Choreographer and her husband welcomed a second child, a girl, a few weeks ago. The couple already have a boy. Congrats to them as well.
8. Ciara: There were speculations Ciara was pregnant for Future, her Fiancé. Well wonder no more. The R&B singer made the reveal on The View, and at the just concluded Grammy, she flaunted her baby bump in an Emilio Pucci dress. Congrats to the soon to be first time mother.
9. Bez: The R&B/neo-soul singer got married at the beginning of this year. However, in a recent interview, he is making it clear his intentions to win an award for husband of the Year. Good look Bez. You go.
10. Toke Makinwa: This is interesting. Toke and her on and off again boyfriend (Maje Ayida) of 12years broke up. She granted an interview saying she had moved on, shared some tweets etc. and what do you know? Barely over a week ago this two secretly got married. Relationships can be quite a challenge, especially if it is with an incompatible partner. Presumably, they really have looked before they leaped. I wish them success in their union.
11. Timi Dakolo: One last industry baby story and it is from Timi Dakolo and his wife Busola who welcomed their third child last Christmas. The two are already parents to a little boy and girl. Congrats to them!
It’s a wrap on industry babies, romance and wedding bells.
Photocredit: Ciara by Getty Images | All Nigerian celebs via their respective blogs and SM fan pages.
- AML 145: Burna Boy, Wizkid Grammy Wins & What it Means for Africa’s Music Industry
- AML144: #StopAsianHate Roundtable
- AML143: #EndSars Human Rights Lawyers on the Frontline (Panel)
- Tobore Ovuorie v. Ebonylife TV: Why Mo Abudu is Most Likely Liable for Copyright Infringement
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society