Nigeria’s leading radio broadcasting company, Megalectrics Limited, under the leadership of Chris Ubosi, has joined Apple Music as a featured curator.
What this means is that music fans can expect to hear and explore the best music Africa has to offer; through curated playlists showcasing works of its legendary and hottest musicians.
“We are very excited to be joining Apple Music as a featured curator, reinforcing our bouquet of stations as the leading music tastemakers in Africa and beyond,” said Ubosi in a statement to the press. “It also means that users worldwide can discover the vibrant African music genres that are increasingly being consumed by Africans.”
For Beat FM, the playlists are: The Beatdown, Bubblin Under, UK Pick of The Week, Lagos Loves This, Ibadan Loves This. Classic FM has Chico’s Overdrive, Connoisseurs Sessions, Rap and Hip Hop Classics, Slow Down Zone, Nineties Middies and Naija FM’s playlists includes Nigerian Top 20, Nigerian Sister with Voices, Nigerian Love Songs, Street Party, and Unforgettable.
The playlists will feature songs like Wizkid’s ‘Mamacita,’ Yemi Alade’s ‘Kom Kom,’ Phyno’s ‘Fada Fada’ featuring ‘Olamide,’ Yvonne Chaka Chaka’s ‘Umqombothi,’ Miriam Makeba’s ‘Pata Pata,’ Evi Edna Ogoli’s ‘Happy Birthday,’ Onyeka Onwenu’s ‘Iyogogo,’ among others.
Nigerian and African music is enjoying an unprecedented global resurgence, which is in turn attracting diverse entertainment and technology companies like Apple.
All Megalectrics curated playlists are now available to members of Apple Music.
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives