Breaking News! MCSN SHUTS DOWN TVC OVER INFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT AND MUSIC PIRACY!Finally, the Musical Copyright Society Of Nigeria (MCSN) executes an Anton Peller injunction against TV Continental over infringement of copyright of its musicians. For months Mcsn and their officers have been trying to get TVC to pay royalties to its artistes that runs into hundreds of millions without success.
Finally in frustration over the arrogance of TVC to do the right thing as it concerns their musician’s works, MCSN went to court and got a preliminary Anton Peller Order to enter and seize all the equipments being used to broadcast music without permission and without paying royalties. The Court has ordered that all the equipments be brought ot the Federal High Court and parked there until the determination of the case.
So, a few minutes ago, MCSN Lawyers, in company of court bailiffs and armed policemen, they have just executed the order and TVC is off air until this matter is settled.
This is a big development for protection of copyrights of Nigerian artistes who continue to live in poverty while the television stations continue to get fatter with advertising on programs without paying artistes for their creative works
Which TV Station is next? Is it Galaxy, NTA, AIT or Channels? OR which RADIO STATION is next (COSON also just sued them for a billion Naira over piracy). THE WAR IS ON!”
The Ombudsman is watching and will be covering everything for you! Forward this to all musicians you know so that they can follow the developments. TVC is being sued for hundreds of millions of Naira!” – by Ope Banwo, Esq.
- AML 149: Intellectual Property, Race and Unjust Music Contracts with Prof. Kevin J. Greene
- AML 148: The Business of Music in Ethiopia with Negus Alemu & Leyla Konjo
- AML 147: Meet Temi Adeniji, MD Warner Music South Africa & SVP, Strategy, Sub-Saharan Africa
- AML 146: Women in “Afrobeats” Music – Eva Alordiah, Weird MC, Joy Tongo
- AML 145: Burna Boy, Wizkid Grammy Wins & What it Means for Africa’s Music Industry