Folks, the past few weeks have been quite busy for me and I have not had meaningful time to delve into some of the interesting stories that are great teaching points/case studies about the business of music. Nevertheless, I wanted to ensure I shared some of the latest news from the blog as well as other sources about happenings in the industry that I think you should know. Check them out:
4. Burnaboy and momager are still ignoring a young lady who claims she is pregnant with his child. I have not touched this case just yet. Suffice it to say how embarrassing to read the way his mother who is his manager has dealt with this issue. She had the opportunity to calm things down. Instead, she doused the situation with gasoline and lit the fire. I would fire her if she worked for me. I know she and Burna had a business falling out before. If this is the way she handles crisis, I expect another business falling out in the nearest future.
5. DNA proves Wizkid is the father of Binta Diamond’s baby. In case you are unaware, this is Wizkid’s second child, the first was with another woman. However, unlike the first child where Wizkid refused to claim ownership of his child, but later had a change of heart, Wizkid, according to reports and Binta’s social media postings and interviews, has adamantly refused to acknowledge this child. But as luck will have it, the child is a spitting image of him. Two people created this child. Wizkid needs to step up and handle his responsibility, otherwise Binta needs to get off social media, get into a court of law and make him.
6. Wizkid is involved in a fresh new brouhaha after organizers of a show, in the UK, that he was allegedly paid and scheduled to perform claim he was a no-show.
7. Watch Wale in a recent Hot 97.7 interview say that Wizkid had influences in Drake’s ‘Controlla’ song. No surprises with his revelation. In fact, it is the buzz among insiders and indeed many know Wizkid has a lot of influences on a few good upcoming music with popular/global acts. But, if Wiz won’t fight for deal terms that give him the requisite recognition, then it is what it is.
8. Annie Idibia has a bad case of trust issues/insecurity, so much so she behaved very badly this week. Annie Idibia knew what she was getting into when she married a man who had fathered five kids with three women, was dating her and had one more kid on the way with another woman when he proposed to her. With eyes wide open, she jumped into a relationship that is not for the faint hearted and in my view, is guaranteed to either end soon if her trust and insecurity issues continue. If it doesn’t end, then expect a lot of health problems down the line because the human body is only capable of handling so much. Click on the hyperlink to see how she behaved badly.
11. Peter Okoye Signs his First Artist Papi J, husband to Kaffy, to his label . The P-square twins are doing their own thing at this point.
12. Dele Momodu finally speaks on the whole Sophie v. Davido drama over their baby. His responses made me laugh, more so his delivery. Start from the 7:20 mark.
13. Mayorkun addresses the allegation boldly stated by Pulse’s Osagie Alonge that he purchased You Tube views. The allegation really angered his label owner, Davido. Mayorkun grants Pulse his interview to address the allegation. From a branding standpoint, I find that weird. I would think they would grant that interview to a competitor outlet otherwise it almost seems to validate Osagie’s allegation.
14. On a much brighter note, industry favorites Toolz and Tunde Demuren tied the knot over the weekend in Dubai. Congratulations to them. I gotta ask, why does it seem like every Nigerian celeb/personality is getting married in Dubai? What’s the draw? Curious.
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives
- AML 139: Beyonce’s ‘Black is King’: Merch & Music Royalties for the African Artist
- @NYPost Please Correct your Misleading Headline Stating a “Beyonce-Endorsed Burna Boy Makes Afrobeat go International”