Once upon a time, Nigerian veteran singer 9ice sang the following lines, “don’t doubt me, I go bring home Grammy,” in his now classic song ‘Street Credibility’ featuring 2Face.
While 9ice is yet to realize his dream, a new generation of artist seem closer to bringing home a Grammy win. One such artist is Damini Ogulu aka Burna Boy. Late July 2019, Burna released his fourth studio album titled, ‘African Giant,’ by November, the album earned him his first Grammy in the ‘Best World Music Album,’ category.
On the heels of his Grammy nomination, he opens 2020 on a strong note with a nomination at the prestigious BRIT Award in the category of ‘International Best Male Solo Artist.’ What is particularly interesting is that his nomination is alongside names such as Bruce Springsteen, Tyler, the Creator, Dermot Kennedy and Post Malone.
Equally impressive is that the song ‘Location’ by British-Nigerian hip-hop artist Dave which features Burna Boy is also up for a nomination as ‘Song of the Year.’
For a full list of nominees, visit BRITS.CO.UK.
For a more AML comprehensive discussion about Burna Boy’s Career so far, visit https://africamusiclaw.com/burna-boy-african-giant/
- AML 136: Interview with Cherie Hu, Music Journalist
- AML 135: Artist Manager Bond Stanley Ebigbo on New Book, ‘Grounded Ways to the Music Business.’
- Kenya Music Industry Talks: Life After COVID, What do African Creatives Need to Weather the Impact?
- Nigerian Music Industry Talks: Opportunities for Young Lawyers in the Entertainment Industry
- Nigerian Music Industry Talks: Teemanay, DJ Dee Money, Meaku