I honestly have been wondering what is up with D’Banj and his music business and personal brand of late. I’ve been observing a lot lately and couldn’t help asking myself, including as late as yesterday. D’Banj must have heard me because the latest news is that he has allegedly signed a management deal with young and successful artist-manager Asa Asika. Asika took to his instagram page to make the announcement today.
““Happy birthday to the biggest fish! God bless you today! Too excited about all the stuff we are about to do…. #timeless #10years #client.”
Asika formerly managed Davido until a falling out. I’m unsure if the two are back together. Congrats to D’Banj. It’s not typical to see a more established and recognized global brand like D’Banj’s, albeit not without the glitches, entrust the future and longevity of his brand to a very young artist-manager like Asa Asika.
It could be a very risky proposition or it could be the much needed rejuvenation D’Banj needs to have the industry and the world take him seriously, musically speaking, again. Who knows. For now, his brand identity seems like one of uncertainty, almost fragile. Let’s see where this new relationship takes both brands, especially D’Banj.
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives