Update: One of my AML readers has informed me Sesan Ogunro is actually the music video director of The D’Banj ‘Oliver Twist’ video not Gbenga Sesan. Thank you. It is now corrected to reflect that. The question still stands can Sesan Ogunro deliver?
is in the works. We know this because music video (S)esan Ogunro couldn’t have chosen the worst time to let the world know about the video shoot i.e. during the global #OccupyNigeria strikes. Nevertheless, the dust has settled and now we are reminded, yet again, of the forthcoming video thanks to a just in Afrobeats UK interview.
For me, all I want to know is whether music video director ((S)esan Ogunro) can actually deliver on this big project.
(There have been some disappointing videos from some of our leading music video directors.) (For example, Sesan Ogunro) disappointed and did not come through on Tiwa Savage’s video ‘Love Me, Love Me, Love Me’ video. The song was amazing, the artist talented and super hot and everything that needed to be there was there. But, in my humble opinion, Sesan’s performance was poor, at best. It left me speechless, well not exactly. You can read my thoughts on that here.
This time, (Sesan Ogunro is once again on this video) can he deliver? ‘Oliver Twist’ has the capability of going places it has not gone before, particularly in the USA. Now that BET Networks has opened its doors, it only makes sense that this video can and should be one that debuts on the network’s 106 & Park just like the Bez ‘That Supid Song’ debut.
The question is whether Mr. Sesan is up to the task?
Everything is aligned in his favor as a music video director. He has:
1. A marketable artist to the US mainstream market;
2. An artist who has the money to do and has done his own marketing and promotions;
3. An artist who is signed with Kanye West’s G.O.O.D Music which now has a relationship with Island Def Jam;
4. An artist who debuts in the USA via LIVE Nation in NYC this month for a concert;
5. An artist who made American blog headlines with his style sense at the BET 2011 Awards; and
6. An artist whose ‘Oliver Twist’ video has numerous celebrity cameos including Will.I.am.
It seems impossible to mess up on this one. Can Mr. Sesan Ogunro deliver?
He better I hope so. I’d be the first to cheer and have great things to say when he does. 🙂 Fingers crossed.
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives
- AML 139: Beyonce’s ‘Black is King’: Merch & Music Royalties for the African Artist
- @NYPost Please Correct your Misleading Headline Stating a “Beyonce-Endorsed Burna Boy Makes Afrobeat go International”
- Join us this Sunday, August 16, 2020, for the ‘Black is King’ Africa Music Law Podcast Roundtable (LIVE STREAM)!