In case you missed it, TMZ reported yesterday that American rapper Cardi B was, “officially arrested and charged with two misdemeanors, assault and reckless endangerment,” and that her “mug shot (was) taken and (she) was fingerprinted. (She) is scheduled to be arraigned on October 29.”
What led to this arrest? Here is what TMZ reports as the alleged facts that occurred in August 2018:
“Cardi — who was at the Strip Club because Migos was performing — came face-to-face with the 2 bartenders and allegedly told her posse to attack them with bottles, chairs and a hookah smoking device. The 2 women were both hurt, but refused medical attention.”
“Sources familiar with the case tell TMZ, Cardi will be charged for allegedly ordering an attack on 2 bartenders at Angels Strip Club in Queens NY. The 2 bartender sisters — Jade and Baddie Gi — say Cardi had a long-standing beef with Jade because Cardi believed she had slept with Offset.” – TMZ
I will discuss the charges specific to New York law, where this incident takes place, shortly. But before I do, let me get to my thesis for this article which is that while Cardi B may be “rich,” she has a poverty mentality. I place “rich” in quotation marks because if you are in the entertainment business, you understand that “rich” can be relative. But, for our purpose, let’s presume Cardi’s fame now matches her pocket book. The problem is Cardi still has a poverty mentality that keeps dragging her down.
A poverty mentality on Cardi’s part is believing that:
- she has to look for and join every fight she is invited to;
- she has to take everyone who was a hero in her past into her future;
- she has to prove she is still as down and ratchet as possible to fit in and belong in the hood;
- she has to play to the stereotype that you can take a girl out of the hood, but you can’t take the hood out of the girl;
- despite her talent, accomplishments etc., she is undeserving of a husband that is loyal and respects her. Instead of working on herself and removing herself from such mental and physical situation, she would rather wage war with everyone but her own demons; and
- having a child she claims means the world to her, is not enough to put foolish things aside including avoiding getting into or being associated with brawls.
Folks, until Cardi deals with her poverty mindset, no amount of money in the world will make her happy. I hope she comes to that awakening soon. If you are one of her representatives please don’t enable her. In fact, pass this article on to her. She needs to read it.
Now on to the alleged charges filed against her, per TMZ’s report.
Briefly, battery is the unlawful application of force to another person which results in either bodily injury or an offensive touching/contact. It is a general intent crime, meaning the prosecutor needs to show the act by Cardi B is prohibited by law, and doesn’t take into account whether Cardi B intended to cause harm to her victim/victims. In New York, however, unlike California, there is no crime of “battery.” There is only a crime of assault which includes common law battery described above, and has varying degrees i.e. 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree assaults depending on the magnitude of the injury, weapons used, and mental state.
In New York, a person is guilty of reckless endangerment when his or her conduct recklessly places someone else or that person’s property in danger, regardless of the intent. Like the crime of assault, New York has various degrees of reckless endangerment (1st and 2nd degree).
The allegations against Cardi would seem to fit the bill. But, let’s wait and see what happens. She is afterall, innocent until proven guilty.
Photo credit: Kevin Mazur/Wire Image
Some of Our Achievements