Cherie Hu (Guest) is an award-winning music writer and researcher, passionate about propelling innovation in the music industry using a combination of in-depth business acumen and data-driven storytelling.
She takes a particular interest in how emerging music markets, technologies, leaders, and taste makers make their dent in the status quo. In addition to Forbes, she has written for publications including Billboard, Variety, Music Business Worldwide, Pitchfork, and Rolling Stone. She has spoken at over 20 conferences to date, including SXSW, Sónar D, and the Web Summit, and her newsletter Water & Music reaches over 2,000 creative professionals every month.
Before diving into journalism, she spearheaded a research project on innovation in music at Harvard Business School, interned at Interscope Records and Ticketmaster and studied classical piano at Juilliard.
She is a guest on the latest episode, 136th, of The Africa Music Law Show with host Ms. Uduak. Enjoy the interview, share and you can watch a 14min snippet of the interview at https://www.instagram.com/msuduak/channel/.
Uduak Oduok, (Host) founder of Africa Music Law, is a Partner and Co-Founder of Ebitu Law Group, P.C. where she handles her firm’s intellectual property law, media, business, fashion, and entertainment law practice areas. For fifteen years, as an attorney, she has litigated a wide variety of cases in California courts. She has also handled a variety of entertainment deals for clients in the USA, Africa and Asia including network television and licensing deals. Her work and contributions to the creative industry have been recognized by numerous organizations including the National Bar Association and featured in prestigious legal publications in the USA: ABA Journal and The California Lawyer Magazine. She can be reached via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook with the @msuduak handle.
- Cherie Hu’s personal and career background.
- Her passion about covering the music business.
- How she built her Water and Music platform, podcasts, and online membership community.
- Why she decided to write her book and her process so far.
- Her tips for aspiring music journalists/writers.
Where to Find Cherie Hu
Where to Find Host Ms.Uduak
- AML 159: Meet Gary W. Goldstein, Iconic Hollywood Producer
- AML 158: Wizkid x Tems x Justin Bieber “Essence,” Drake CLB, Nextflix in Africa & More!
- AML 157: 1:1 Interview with Top Media Executive Fentselite on Life, Career & More!
- AML 156: How Bad Metadata Makes Artists Lose Out on Royalties with Keith Kirk
- AML 155: NFTs for Artists with David Bianchi, Creator of “The Modern Day-Minstrel” Show