Check on the latest news from COSON.
“Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON) has announced that its Extra-Ordinary General Meeting (EGM) will take place on Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at the Oranmiyan Hall, Lagos Airport Hotel, Ikeja, Lagos. The main agenda of the meeting is for members to pass a resolution to approve this year’s distribution of music copyright royalties after which distribution shall commence immediately.
Speaking on this year’s distribution, General Manager of COSON, Mr. Chinedu Chukwuji said, “At COSON, we remain committed to our cause to ensure that right owners are rewarded for their music exploited. In spite of the economic downturn, COSON continues to ensure that at the end of the day, right owners can smile. We want to assure all our members and affiliates that we would not rest on our oars until we get to the place of our dreams, which is a more vibrant and rewarding music industry where intellectual property is given the respect it deserves”.
Also speaking, female artiste and COSON Board member, Azeezat Allen said, “I am always very proud to be a member of COSON. If I was told few years back that a system like this would work in Nigeria, I would have laughed my head off in mockery. But right before my eyes, not only do we have such a system in place, it is being run efficiently. Come December 16, COSON members can be sure of a good Christmas and end of year celebration. COSON is indeed working”.
The annual distribution by COSON is in line with the society’s core mandate to license the use of music and to distribute royalties to right owners. This would be the 4th time in a row since its approval in 2010 that COSON will live up to its mandate in ensuring that right owners are adequately compensated with what is their due.”
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives
- AML 139: Beyonce’s ‘Black is King’: Merch & Music Royalties for the African Artist
- @NYPost Please Correct your Misleading Headline Stating a “Beyonce-Endorsed Burna Boy Makes Afrobeat go International”
- Join us this Sunday, August 16, 2020, for the ‘Black is King’ Africa Music Law Podcast Roundtable (LIVE STREAM)!