Osagie Alonge breaks down D’banj’s career in the last 12 months and offers his own opinion of one of Nigeria’s most prolific music artiste.”
- D’banj is every hustler’s dream.
- D’Banj has defied every odds.
- D’Banj signed to three major labels (Universal, GOOD Music, Mercury), who has done that before?
- D’Banj should receive props for all he has done.
- He had one of the biggest songs in the history of Nigeria’a (music industry) ‘Oliver Twist.’
- He has had major spins on radio in the UK.
- D’banj is said to be in debt but they are rumors.
- D’Banj has interviewed the President, Goodluck Jonathan, the only artist to do so.
- He is the First Nigerian to get Beats by Dre Headphones endorsement deal.
- D’Banj has constantly tried to be a bigger artist.
- His signing of Actress Tonto Dikeh is one of the biggest “creative/entertainment value.”
- He is constantly breaking boundaries within and outside Nigeria.
- D’Banj gets a lot of heat because of the comparison between Don Jazzy and D’Banj.
- Dangote endorses D’Banj, D’Banj has his One Campaign, and the list goes on.
- The problem is that D’Banj has constantly alienated the good people around him. He changes his managers all the time. He can’t keep a good team around him. He needs to know how to build a team around him.
- His artistry is not well presented or articulated.
- He needs a stronger relationship with the press through his team. He is unreachable even during controversies.
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives
- AML 139: Beyonce’s ‘Black is King’: Merch & Music Royalties for the African Artist
- @NYPost Please Correct your Misleading Headline Stating a “Beyonce-Endorsed Burna Boy Makes Afrobeat go International”