Denrele Edun is an on air media personality (OAP) in Nigeria who is constantly rumored to be gay. At some point, Nigerian newspapers published a magazine cover with artist Charly Boy kissing Denrele. While Charly Boy threatened to sue for defamation, nothing came off it. We all moved on.
Overall, Denrele is known as an extremely warm, crazy, noisy and friendly personality who has given many in the entertainment industry their first big breaks. He is also known for his flamboyancy, wearing makeup, lipsticks, women shoes and other clothing and not seeming to care what Nigerians think about the situation. Usually we do not see him sharing these photos, just the media.
I don’t know about you all. However, I believe whether straight, gay or transgendered, we are not absolved of the responsibility to be mature in our dealings, especially on social media. We are all well aware of the anti-homosexual law in Nigeria. We are also aware of the repercussions on those who are tagged “gay.”
If you know a certain group of people are targeted and violently attacked because people have very stereotyped ideas of what it means to be gay, lesbian or transgender, would it be helpful, as a Nigerian celebrity who has been rumored to be gay, if you do not fan the flames?
Is such an expectation from Denrele too much to ask, given the society he lives in or is that stifling his freedom of expression, after all, he has never said he is a spokesperson for that community, or outcasts in general.
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives
- AML 139: Beyonce’s ‘Black is King’: Merch & Music Royalties for the African Artist
- @NYPost Please Correct your Misleading Headline Stating a “Beyonce-Endorsed Burna Boy Makes Afrobeat go International”
- Join us this Sunday, August 16, 2020, for the ‘Black is King’ Africa Music Law Podcast Roundtable (LIVE STREAM)!