By now many of you have heard the news that Storm 360’s artist Sasha P will no longer represent the Samsung brand as a brand ambassador. Now, last week when the news hit the online world, every headline I read said “Samsung Dumps Sasha P” etc. With the amount of buzz that created, Sasha P released a statement saying she was not dumped, her contract expired.
What difference does it make?
1. “Dumping” implies in someway that Samsung ended the relationship before it was supposed to. Needless to say, there should be a clause in the contract that permits Samsung to do just that if:
a) Sasha’s brand strength is unable to give them the kind of traction they thought it would which would convert to higher sales and revenue;
b) Sasha breached contractual terms;
c) all of the above.
A good lawyer on Samsung’s part would have all of the plausible scenarios for why Samsung should get out of the deal in advance, without it being a breach of contract.
2. The above is distinct from a situation where the parties signed a one year contract, the contract is carried to term with both parties fulling their obligations, and then both deciding to go a different direction.
Scenario number 2, instead of giving Samsung the complete power to basically “fire/sack” Sasha, gives both parties equal power to say, “I enjoyed the relationship but I think I want to do something else so let’s amicably go our separate ways.”
For some, it may still boil down to getting “dumped” because they can’t imagine any artist or talent wanting to do other things than being the continual mouthpiece for a technology/communications company. *Shrugs shoulders* It is what it is.
BIG TIP: ARTISTS, negotiate better termination clauses. Also, knowing how the Nigerian media and blogs work, don’t let others write your stories for you because they will write their own views. You give them your story. This means if your contract is coming up for expiration, you should send a joint statement upon expiration and before the new brand ambassador is chosen indicating you have decided to go a different direction and explain what that direction is.
A representative from the brand you represented should also attend that press conference or include in the release statements, statements that sings your praises. Negotiate this in advance, control your brand name and image!
In conclusion, I think if you are Sasha, you just bring the “Rain Groove.” If she keeps up with the new direction and improvement in her sound that she has been dishing out to us, Samsung will be crying blood, in the nearest future, begging her to sign a long term contract as their brand ambassador.[audio:https://secureservercdn.net/18.104.22.168/fxm.35c.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Sasha-P-Raingroove.mp3]
- African and global superstars celebrate Africa Day Concert 2021
- AML 151: Meet Emem Ema, the Artist Manager Extraordinaire Managing Mr. P
- AML 150: Mental Health & Substance Abuse in the Afrobeats Music Industry
- AML 149: Intellectual Property, Race and Unjust Music Contracts with Prof. Kevin J. Greene
- AML 148: The Business of Music in Ethiopia with Negus Alemu & Leyla Konjo