The Lab NYC is Mixmag and Smirnoff Sound Collective’s weekly afterwork party where we stream the best American and international DJs from the intimate space connected to our Brooklyn office. This Friday, Mixmag welcomes a special guest all the way from Nigeria, DJ Spinall.
Spinall, who also goes by TheCAP and Sodamola Oluseye Desmond, is one of Africa’s most popular electronic music acts. As an artist, Spinall takes pride in his ability to jump from a wide variety of genres and has performed in the UK, Dubai, South Africa and major cities across Nigeria.
As one of the first African DJs to tour the United States, Spinall’s success has effectively acted as a catalyst in the spread of underground African culture and the spiritual, high energy sound synonymous with his name.
Desmond’s DJing skills and artistry have been widely acclaimed throughout the country’s music scene, winning achievements such as Nigerian Entertainment Awards’ ‘World Best DJ’ and Nigerian Broadcasters Merit Awards’ ‘Best Video DJ’ in 2014.
Spinall’s last releases were his 2016 ‘Ten’ album and the more recent ‘ÓLÒWÓ’ featuring Davido and Wande Coal.
He also just completed a successful U.S. tour which wrapped up last week, May 5-6, 2017.
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives