Don Jazzy, a music producer and founder of Nigeria’s leading contemporary music label Mavin Records, has teamed up with Nigerian technology company Tsaboin to launch a free wifi service called Flobyt. The duo made the announcement in a press conference earlier today in Nigeria.
“Flobyt Wifi is a free, fast, reliable and easy to use wifi service across partner locations including; eateries, parks, taxis, buses, restaurants, and cafés,” said Dele Odufuye, CEO of Tsaboin, during the press conference. “The service is designed to replicate the ‘at home’ wifi experience, people are out and about,” he added.
What this means for the average Nigerian in Lagos, where Flobyt has just been unveiled, is that checking emails, uploading photos to Facebook, or funny Instagram videos can now be done, for free, on a smartphone or tablet. Odufuye also explained that the service permits 10-30 people to be connected, at once, to Flobyt at low trafficked partner venues, and 10-80 people can connect at once at higher trafficked venues.
“I believe so much in this. This is one of the few other investments we are going to be sharing with you,” said Don Jazzy during the press conference. “I have been on social media for a long time. I know how expensive data is. I give free airtime, now it’s time to give free WiFi,” he added.
Flobyt is installed at the following locations in Lagos:
Bar Enclave, Ilupeju;
Lounge 9a, Anthony;
Massimo Bar, Ikeja;
Grace’s Cakes, Ogba;
Jazzment Salon Lekki;
Kayz Place Barbershop, Lekki;
Amala Express, Lekki;
White House, Sabo, Yaba; and
Road Star Burger, Lekki.
You can also watch a video released (December last year) demonstrating the use of the service and another video with some of Don Jazzy’s remarks at the press conference today:
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives