It is hard to believe but news sources such as Vanguard Nigeria, Premium Times, among others, report that Emeka Mba, the Director General of the Nigeria’s National Broadcasting Commission (NBC), has allegedly been arrested over an alleged 15billion Naira fraud. Emeka is a respected name in Nigeria’s entertainment industry. You can watch him speak at the 2014 Nigerian Entertainment Conference.
“The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arrested Emeka Mba, the Director General of the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission over an alleged N15 billion fraud, PREMIUM TIMES can authoritatively report.
Mr. Mba was arrested on Monday morning in Abuja and taken to the EFCC’s headquarters where he is currently being interrogated.
Those familiar with the investigation told PREMIUM TIMES the EFCC had been investigating the NBC in the past one month.
Last week, some detectives stormed the headquarters of the NBC, ransacking computers and files in the Finance and Account unit. During the operation, some key Accounts staff where taken away.
Sources said the arrested officials made confessional statements to the EFCC implicating Mr. Mba and some top officials of the NBC. When contacted, the EFCC spokesperson, Wilson Uwujaren, said he was on an official assignment in Lagos and had not been briefed.
But a top official of the anti-graft agency said: “Yes, he (Mr. Mba) is with us. We are investigating massive diversion of public funds and we’re making progress. Mba definitely has questions to answer.” – Premium Times
The story is still developing.
- AML 149: Intellectual Property, Race and Unjust Music Contracts with Prof. Kevin J. Greene
- AML 148: The Business of Music in Ethiopia with Negus Alemu & Leyla Konjo
- AML 147: Meet Temi Adeniji, MD Warner Music South Africa & SVP, Strategy, Sub-Saharan Africa
- AML 146: Women in “Afrobeats” Music – Eva Alordiah, Weird MC, Joy Tongo
- AML 145: Burna Boy, Wizkid Grammy Wins & What it Means for Africa’s Music Industry