Afrobeat musician Femi Kuti, son of the late Fela Kuti, recently took to his instagram page to announce the death of his music manager Francis Kertekian.
“With deep sorrow and sadness, I regret to announce the passing of my long time friend, senior brother, manager Francis Kertekian.,” said Kuti. “RIP! We will miss u. I pray the Creator gives your family the strength to deal with your passing. We love you.”
In 1991, Kertekian founded a Fela Kertekian Music Publishing company with a catalog of almost all of Fela’s songs. In 2013, BMG Rights Management France (BMG) acquired the music publishing business including all of Fela’s songs. Kertekian also brokered a co-publishing deal with BMG for his new company at the time, FKGC. Under the deal, BMG would work together on the development of future signings with FKGC.
Kertekian was also involved/and featured in the documentary ‘Finding Fela.’ Watch the trailer below. May his soul rest in peace.
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives