If you missed AML’s podcast episode 30, you might want to
make sure to listen to it (above). As I predicted in that episode, this year we will see a rise in lawsuits in the Nigerian entertainment industry.
In my view, many Nigerians have a very bad habit of making false statements, publicly. Further, Nigerian culture as a whole can be quite an abusive culture. So, when someone makes a false statement about you and places it out there, they permit and open others to rain insults on you and worse, damage or attempt to damage your reputation. This particular situation is VERY common in Nigerian society so it is no surprise Nigerian celebrities are no longer willing to put up with the nonsense.
Now on to our legal drama for the day. The key question here is whether you believe Funke Akindele has any grounds to sue Linda Ikeji.
1. Was Linda Ikeji’s post below modified?
2. If not, looking at what has been reproduced below, what are the grounds, you believe, in simple English, for a lawsuit against Linda? You don’t have to be a lawyer to answer this. Just tell me what parts of Linda’s post reproduced below you believe is sufficient grounds for lawsuit.
Linda Ikeji’s Post of 1/25/2015:
Something happened last night but I was too tired to write it …and then I woke up this morning and almost forgot about it. *sigh*. I may be reaching and Funke may not have been referring to Toyin but let me tell you what happened and you decide for yourself.
It’s not news that Toyin Aimakhu and Funke Akindele don’t see eye to eye. If you Google, you will find a few posts of reports of the two actresses beefing each other. In fact, sometime in 2013, Toyin tweeted at an ‘aunty Agbaya’ who was going around tarnishing her image. Toyin made reference to herself being married while the ‘Agbaya’ was single and jumping around. This was a few months after Funke Akindele’s marriage ended. (Read here). A lot of people felt Toyin was referring to Funke.
Well, yesterday after news hit social media that Toyin Aimakhu’s marriage to Adeniyi Johnson had crashed, Funke went on instagram and posted what you see above and under it she wrote “Yes, You!” with two tongue out smiley.
Many of her followers immediately picked up on it and accused her of shading Toyin because her marriage had also failed. When fans criticized her for the post, Funke Akindele removed it but not before I screen-grabbed it. So that’s happened. You think it had to do with Toyin?
The Demand Letter by Funke Akindele’s Lawyers
Your view. Does Funke Akindele have any grounds to sue on? Your thoughts in general?
- AML 145: Burna Boy, Wizkid Grammy Wins & What it Means for Africa’s Music Industry
- AML144: #StopAsianHate Roundtable
- AML143: #EndSars Human Rights Lawyers on the Frontline (Panel)
- Tobore Ovuorie v. Ebonylife TV: Why Mo Abudu is Most Likely Liable for Copyright Infringement
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society