D’Banj joins a few Nigerian artists such as Asa and Nneka in having his own VEVO channel, courtesy Universal Music Group. What this means from where I sit is that it shows a clear and purposeful USA music re-branding; with more to come from the artist as he tries to make more inroads in the USA market.
Here is How Wikipedia Defines Vevo
“Vevo (stylized as VEVO) is a music video website. It is a joint venture among Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group, and Abu Dhabi Media with EMI licensing its content to the group without taking an ownership stake. The service was launched officially on December 8, 2009.
The videos on Vevo are syndicated across the web,with Google and Vevo sharing the advertising revenue.
Vevo offers music videos from three of the “big four” major record labels: Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment, and EMI.Warner Music Group was initially reported to be considering hosting its content on Vevo,but subsequently formed a rival alliance with MTV Networks. (This has just changed as the two settled their beef) There are more than 45,000 videos available on Vevo.”
Here is How VEVO describes itself
“VEVO is the leading music and entertainment service, providing live and on-demand music videos as well as original programming to nearly 60 million unique users in the U.S. and Canada each month. With over 45,000 music videos from more than 11,000 artists, VEVO extends across the digital platform via syndication through YouTube, AOL, CBS Interactive Music Group (Last.fm, MP3.com), BET, Fuse.tv and Univision, as well as Mobile (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 7, BlackBerry PlayBook) and Connected TV (Google TV and Boxee).
VEVO features the most extensive catalog of premium music content found anywhere on the web thanks to deals with such leading music companies as Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment, EMI Music, ABKCO, Beggars Group, Big Machine Records, CBS Interactive Music Group, Concord Music Group, Hollywood Records, Lyric Street Records, Razor & Tie Entertainment, Ultra Records, Walt Disney Records, Wind-up Records, Caroline Distribution, Entertainment One Distribution, Fontana Distribution, INgrooves, IODA, RED, SAAVN and The Orchard, among many others.”
- The above are some great partners VEVO syndicates with. These partners further syndicate to sub-distributors so an artists really gets their name out
- It is all about packaging, marketing and selling value driven content on the web space.
- Licensing music content through VEVO means higher advertising rates for advertisers and a greater share of the revenue for all parties
- Digital sales will really drive the music industry going forward, this is no surprise.Observe the trends across the globe in major music markets and the conclusion is the same.
- Nigerian, Ghanaian and other African artists can truly compete with their US counterparts, whether they be with VEVO or not, when it comes to digital distribution of their music. Itunes, The Orchard, Google Music, CD Baby, Truspot.com, I wantairplay.com and so many other sites are available for digital distribution. You just gotta put in the work.
- If you can show the traction and fan base and you are an artist of D’Banj’s caliber, depending on industry contacts, negotiation et al. you may very well be able to own your own VEVO account.
- Next up on the VEVO block, it would be no surprise, should be P-Square if Akon can pull some weight and connections and make things happen for the pair.
- FYI AML Industry people: VEVO is in preliminary talks with Facebook to move to Facebook after its deal with Google-owned YouTube expires next year.
What kinds of music videos are available on VEVO?
VEVO has approximately 45,000 music videos in addition to original series, behind-the-scenes footage, live performances, and artist interviews. VEVO continually adds music video catalogs and programming to its platform through new partnerships with major record companies, dozens of independents and other premium content owners like CBS.
How do I get my videos on VEVO?
At this time, we receive all of our programming from our partners. If you are an independent artist, we suggest that you contact one of our distribution partners for information on having your videos distributed through VEVO.
Does Justin Bieber’s ‘Baby’ video really have 700 million views? What does that mean exactly?
Yes! All the view counts you see on VEVO are the total plays a video receives across the VEVO platform, including VEVO.com, VEVO Mobile and VEVO syndication partners including YouTube. VEVO is the official measurer of online music video view counts.”
D’Banj’s Oliver Twist Video on YouTube Presented by Mo’Hits & G.O.O.D Music. – Yes, the timing is finally right to share on AML
- AML 159: Meet Gary W. Goldstein, Iconic Hollywood Producer
- AML 158: Wizkid x Tems x Justin Bieber “Essence,” Drake CLB, Nextflix in Africa & More!
- AML 157: 1:1 Interview with Top Media Executive Fentselite on Life, Career & More!
- AML 156: How Bad Metadata Makes Artists Lose Out on Royalties with Keith Kirk
- AML 155: NFTs for Artists with David Bianchi, Creator of “The Modern Day-Minstrel” Show