1. Dr. Sid just recently graduated from the New York Film Academy. He joins the likes of Banky W, Kemi Adetiba and a few other industry colleagues in wearing an additional hat as a film director. Good look Dr. Sid. Dr. Sid is also expecting his first child, a girl, with recently licensed Nigerian attorney Simi Osomo.
2. It is no news that Chocolate City, Roc Nation and a few good labels, other artists and executives in Nigeria have been in business talks. What comes out of it is what industry insiders and ultimately the public at large is waiting to see. In the meantime, it is hobnobbing, relationship building, meetings et al. Check out Ice Prince with Jay-Z and a subsequent photo up with Power 105.1 The Breakfast Club’s Charlamagne.
I always say I respect Ice Prince’s hustle but I am simply not a fan of his work. I really do believe it lacks its own specific music identity and authenticity. Try as hard as he may, he always comes off as someone trying to be what he is not i.e. taking on what is an over-exaggerated identity of an American rapper. There are many in the African space who rap yet lack such mimicking qualities i.e. M.I, E.L., Sarkodie and the list goes on.
I do, however, appreciate that he finally got very hungry for success with his music and he is slaying it on the continent, and outside of with pushing his music brand forward. You can’t knock that kind of hustle.
3. Final wrap on the news front for me. We’ve got Tonto Dikeh & Davido hitting the gym and taking care of their bodies. I am particularly proud of Tonto Dikeh. She has come a long way. Davido I have always said has his head together. He has an unmatched focus that is very refreshing to see for a very young artist.
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives
- AML 139: Beyonce’s ‘Black is King’: Merch & Music Royalties for the African Artist
- @NYPost Please Correct your Misleading Headline Stating a “Beyonce-Endorsed Burna Boy Makes Afrobeat go International”