Professor Kevin J. Greene joins Ms. Uduak, Fashion and Entertainment Lawyer and host of The Africa Music Law Show, on the 149th episode to discuss intellectual property, race, and inequitable (unfair/unjust) music contracts in the music business.
ABOUT PROF. KEVIN J. GREENE
A graduate of the Yale Law School and a U.S Marine veteran, Professor Kevin J. Greene is the John J. Schumacher Chair Professor at Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles, California, where he teaches Contracts, Copyright Law and Entertainment Law.
Professor Greene’s award-winning scholarship explores copyright, trademark and publicity rights issues, and the impact of intellectual property law on African-American creativity.
Professor Greene practiced law in New York at the premier firm of Cravath, Swaine & Moore, representing companies such as Time Warner/HBO, and at a top New York entertainment law boutique firm, where his clients included film production companies, film director Spike Lee, and music artists including Harry Connick, Jr., Bobby Brown, and the seminal rap group Public Enemy.
As an expert witness-consultant in copyright and IP cases, Greene worked with funk music legend George Clinton in a landmark copyright case in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. In 2020, Professor Greene was the lead IP expert in a landmark $9.5 million jury trial on contracts and right of publicity issues.
In 2016, the Intellectual Property Institute of the State Bar of California selected Professor Greene for its highest honor, the Vanguard Award in the category of Academics. In 2018, Professor Greene was elected as a member of the American Bar Foundation (“ABF).
In 2020, Professor Greene was selected by the National Bar Association as one of the top 100 African-American attorneys in California. Also, in 2020, Professor Greene was selected as the Honorary Intellectual Property Law Advisor, and a Fellow (Honors) of the United Sigma Intelligence Association, an international think tank.
WHERE TO FIND PROFESSOR KEVIN J. GREENE
Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/hiphoplawprof/
ABOUT THE AFRICA MUSIC LAW SHOW
- Premier music business and entertainment law show empowering the African artist, and the creative industry at large.
- Is the industry’s go-to source for business, legal commentary & analysis on Africa’s entertainment market.
- Made iTunes Top 3 Business Podcasts in Nigeria.
- Made iTunes Top 4 ‘New & Noteworthy’.
- Hundreds of thousands of downloads.
- Subscribers: Africa & Hollywood’s power executives, industry professionals, and creative talents.
- Countries represented: Nigeria (26%), USA (23%), UK (15%), UAE (7%), and Other (29%)
Ms. Uduak – Fashion and Entertainment Lawyer & Founder of Africa Music Law.
Where to Find Host Ms. Uduak
- AML 159: Meet Gary W. Goldstein, Iconic Hollywood Producer
- AML 158: Wizkid x Tems x Justin Bieber “Essence,” Drake CLB, Nextflix in Africa & More!
- AML 157: 1:1 Interview with Top Media Executive Fentselite on Life, Career & More!
- AML 156: How Bad Metadata Makes Artists Lose Out on Royalties with Keith Kirk
- AML 155: NFTs for Artists with David Bianchi, Creator of “The Modern Day-Minstrel” Show