While Jay-Z and Roc Nation are having a meeting with Don Jazzy and Tiwa Savage to decide whether they will sign a music deal with the duo, Chris Ubosi, Managing Director of Megalectrics Limited (Operators of Classic FM 97.3, The Beat 99.9FM & Naija Fm 102.7), and his company have just filed a lawsuit against Rihanna, Jay-Z and Roc Nation over a no show concert in Nigeria.
“Rihanna flaked on a show she was scheduled to perform at in Nigeria, even though she’d already received a fat chunk of her payday … according to the guy who booked her for the gig — but Rihanna is claiming BS.
Chris Ubosi and his company, Megalectrics, are suing RiRi over a 2013 concert that never happened. Ubosi says he struck a deal with 2 people who claimed to rep Rihanna, as well as her label Roc Nation and Jay Z. Rihanna would get $425,000 to play for 65 minutes.
The show was supposed to go down in May — and Ubosi says he made 3 payments, totaling $160k … but then her camp asked to postpone the show. Ubosi says he agreed, but only IF Rihanna posted the new date on social media.
In the suit, he says that never happened so Megalectrics pulled the plug, and demanded its money back. Since Ubosi didn’t get the cash, he’s suing Rihanna, Jay Z and Roc Nation for the dough.
Sources close to Rihanna tell us her management knew nothing about the gig and the singer never collected a dime. Her people believe Ubosi is a victim of a scam.” -TMZ
Three years ago, I discussed parallel cases including the one involving Nas. Watch my discussions below:
Photocredit: Anthony J. Causi
- AML 159: Meet Gary W. Goldstein, Iconic Hollywood Producer
- AML 158: Wizkid x Tems x Justin Bieber “Essence,” Drake CLB, Nextflix in Africa & More!
- AML 157: 1:1 Interview with Top Media Executive Fentselite on Life, Career & More!
- AML 156: How Bad Metadata Makes Artists Lose Out on Royalties with Keith Kirk
- AML 155: NFTs for Artists with David Bianchi, Creator of “The Modern Day-Minstrel” Show