While Jay-Z and Roc Nation are having a meeting with Don Jazzy and Tiwa Savage to decide whether they will sign a music deal with the duo, Chris Ubosi, Managing Director of Megalectrics Limited (Operators of Classic FM 97.3, The Beat 99.9FM & Naija Fm 102.7), and his company have just filed a lawsuit against Rihanna, Jay-Z and Roc Nation over a no show concert in Nigeria.
“Rihanna flaked on a show she was scheduled to perform at in Nigeria, even though she’d already received a fat chunk of her payday … according to the guy who booked her for the gig — but Rihanna is claiming BS.
Chris Ubosi and his company, Megalectrics, are suing RiRi over a 2013 concert that never happened. Ubosi says he struck a deal with 2 people who claimed to rep Rihanna, as well as her label Roc Nation and Jay Z. Rihanna would get $425,000 to play for 65 minutes.
The show was supposed to go down in May — and Ubosi says he made 3 payments, totaling $160k … but then her camp asked to postpone the show. Ubosi says he agreed, but only IF Rihanna posted the new date on social media.
In the suit, he says that never happened so Megalectrics pulled the plug, and demanded its money back. Since Ubosi didn’t get the cash, he’s suing Rihanna, Jay Z and Roc Nation for the dough.
Sources close to Rihanna tell us her management knew nothing about the gig and the singer never collected a dime. Her people believe Ubosi is a victim of a scam.” -TMZ
Three years ago, I discussed parallel cases including the one involving Nas. Watch my discussions below:
Photocredit: Anthony J. Causi
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives
- AML 139: Beyonce’s ‘Black is King’: Merch & Music Royalties for the African Artist
- @NYPost Please Correct your Misleading Headline Stating a “Beyonce-Endorsed Burna Boy Makes Afrobeat go International”
- Join us this Sunday, August 16, 2020, for the ‘Black is King’ Africa Music Law Podcast Roundtable (LIVE STREAM)!