This week, the internet exploded after Kim Kardashian released footage of a recorded conversation between Kanye West and Taylor Swift showing that Swift had approved West’s use of her name in his recent song ‘Famous.’ When West released the audio version ‘Famous’ in February 2016, Swift publicly distanced herself from the song, said she found the song offensive and misogynistic. The footage, however, seemed to paint a different picture.
In response to Kim’s release, Swift issued a statement saying she did not agree to the use of the line “that b*tch” towards her. She also opposed to the recording of her conversation and that she never gave consent. In California, where the incident took place, it is a crime to record a private telephone conversation without the consent of ALL parties.
In this 82nd episode of The Africa Music Law Show, Ms. Uduak, host, provides legal commentary on the two key issues raised from this brouhaha:
- Can Kanye West legally use Taylor Swift’s name in his song ‘Famous’ without her permission?
- Can Kanye West legally record the conversation he had with Taylor Swift about ‘Famous’ without Taylor’s permission?
It’s a must listen to episode and must share!
About The Africa Music Law Show with Ms. Uduak
Hosted by California based Fashion & Entertainment Lawyer Uduak Oduok (Ms. Uduak), The Africa Music Law show is a show empowering the African artist through brilliant music business and entertainment law commentary and analysis, industry news, and exclusive interviews. The show has been downloaded over 100,000 times and made iTunes top 4 ‘New & Noteworthy.’ Subscribers include Africa & hollywood’s power executives, investors, lawyers, artists and other industry stakeholders. The blog itself has been cited in a U.S. top-ranked law school’s ‘International Law Review’ journal. Country demographic: Nigeria (26%), USA (23%), UK (15%), UAE (7%), and Other (29%).
Where to Find Ms.Uduak
Rate us on iTunes
- AML 163: Tiwa Savage v. Sex Tape Blackmailer, Drake & Chris Brown Sued & More!
- Meet Awin Tavakoli: Lawyer, Speaker & Business Advisor
- AML 161: Fawehinmi “Foza” Oyinkansola and Iredumare Opeyemi Kick Off the AML Superfan Lounge!
- AML 160: NBC Universal & Showmax, Ckay, Iyanya, Warner Music & More
- AML 159: Meet Gary W. Goldstein, Iconic Hollywood Producer