In 2014, I asked whether that year was the year Nigerian Celebrity Blogger Linda Ikeji would be sued. I also listed a growing line of cases where the parties involved threatened to sue Ikeji; and said it was only a matter of time before Linda Ikeji is sued. Since then, of course we have seen even more close calls.
Now, we have an official lawsuit filed by a lawyer.
Folks, I think I said this a long time ago. However, in case you missed it, I’ll say it again. It is a good idea, generally, not to mess with lawyers. Lawyers are trained to fight. That is their nature and it is usually their default position. So, fighting with a lawyer is generally never a good idea. If you will have a Plaintiff on the other side, try to make sure the person suing you in his or her personal capacity is not a lawyer. Lawyers are not as easily intimidated and they can and will wear you out.
On another note, the Wizkid-Linda Ikeji brouhaha showed how much hate, jealousy and envy people have for Linda Ikeji. Many were explicit that they wished her downfall. It comes with the territory and is what it is. Therefore, at this point, having a lawyer is not an option for Linda. She needs to lawyer up with some of the best and experienced legal sharks because the lawsuits and attacks are only just beginning.
Mo’ money, mo’ problems.
“In Suit No. LD/3265MFHR/2016 before Hon. Justice O.H. Oshodi, the lawyer sued the blogger for damages in the sum of N50, 000,000 (Fifty Million Naira) for the unauthorized use of his picture on her blog for crime-related stories which he claimed has subjected him to mental and psychological torture in violation of his constitutional right to dignity of human person and freedom from degrading treatment.
Pending the time of the hearing of the main suit, Justice O.H. Oshodi granted an injunction restraining Linda Ikeji from further use of the lawyer’s picture otherwise she would be committed to prison for contempt of court.
PM News obtained the copy of the court order which was granted on the 12th of May, 2016, wherein the court restrained the blogger from further publishing Mr. Olumide Babalola’s pictures for crime-related stories…” –PM News has the full story.
AML Linda Ikeji Close Call Archived Cases
- Five Star Music v. Linda Ikeji
- Funke Akindele v. Linda Ikeji
- Google v. Linda Ikeji
- Sugabelly v. Linda Ikeji
- 9ice v. Linda Ikeji
- Olamide v. Linda Ikeji
- Egor Efiok v. Linda Ikeji
- Yvonne Nelson v. Linda Ikeji
- RMD v. Linda Ikeji
- Toke Makinwa (via Toni Payne) v. Linda Ikeji
- Jim Iyke v. Linda Ikeji
- Eva Alordiah v. Linda Ikeji
- Flavour’s Alleged Girlfriend Oyinye v. Linda Ikeji
- Susan Peters v. Linda Ikeji
- Dencia v. Liz Garvy v. Linda Ikeji (exception and an invasion of privacy claim)
- AML 145: Burna Boy, Wizkid Grammy Wins & What it Means for Africa’s Music Industry
- AML144: #StopAsianHate Roundtable
- AML143: #EndSars Human Rights Lawyers on the Frontline (Panel)
- Tobore Ovuorie v. Ebonylife TV: Why Mo Abudu is Most Likely Liable for Copyright Infringement
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society