More demonstrative evidence (in this case photos) continue to emerge of an alleged assault and battery by Nollywood A-list actress Mercy Aigbe’s husband, Lanre Gentry, against her. The latest is a CT scan and results from the scan showing facial fractures (broken bones in the nose and around the eye area). Gentry continues to deny he hit his wife while Aigbe has remained silent about the alleged incident that occurred the night of April 18, 2017. It is also alleged that the Lagos State Police is now involved in questioning Gentry about the brutality.
In my view, everything about this case and the response of her husband, so far, clearly show Aigbe is a victim of domestic violence.
- She has a long history of denying domestic violence even though it comes up over and over again.
- Her fractures around the eye and upper face.
- His bold and very public threats about exposing her if she talks about him.
- His excuse for domestic violence which he has since deleted.
- The reference by him and all around him seeming to justify violence as a response to alleged cheating.
It is my hope she leaves, this time. It is my hope law enforcement steps in to investigate and prosecute. It is my hope bloggers and media continue to report and expose men who beat their wives, or girlfriends, and women who are equally abusive to their husbands and/or boyfriends. There should be no room, in a civil society, to treat humans this way. It is my hope that those who read this, who are the abusers, get help. Hurt people hurt people. Face your demons so you don’t destroy someone else’s life, and equally worse, get locked up.
I’ll add one more thing. For those who read stories like Tonto Dikeh’s, Mercy Aigbe, and countless others and then conclude that Nigerian or African men are “beasts”, “abusers” etc. DON’T. I know I used to be very guilty of that. As with every group, there are some really bad/sick people. In addition, for Nigerian and/African men who read this, take a hold of your narratives. Stand and continue to stand against men you know among you who hit women. We all know it is wrong. Don’t be passive. Don’t justify the action based on a woman allegedly cheating etc. If a woman cheats on a man that she is romantically involved with, he has a choice. He can leave. Physically abusing her is not the answer.
Below are the alleged medical findings:
“There is fracture of the medial wall of the left orbit, with herniation of the orbital fat and left media rectus muscle into the ethmoidal sinus and presence of peri-orbital emphysema.
There is also a fracture to the floor of the orbit with air/fluid level in the left maxillary sinus – indicative of hematoma.
Slight hermiation of the left inferior oblique muscle into the maxillary sinus is also noted.
No intracranial hermorrage is seen.
There is however, bilateral basal ganglia calcification (most like physiological).
Normal white/grey matter interface is preserved.
Posterior tossa strutures are normal.
No occular abnormality is seen.”
1. Blow-out fracture of the left orbit with herniation of orbital fat, media rectus and left inferior oblique muscles.
2. Left maxillary sinus hermatoma.
3. incidental finding of bilateral basal ganglia calcification.
PRIOR DENIAL OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN 2013
AML ARCHIVED DISCUSSION OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE: TONTO DIKEH v. CHURCHILL
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE RESOURCE
DIVORCE ATTORNEY RECOMMENDATIONS (Nigeria)
1. Tajudeen Oluwaseye Lawal
L & A Legal Consultants
3rd Floor, 62 Awolowo Road, South West Ikoyi, Lago
Tel/Fax: +234-1 – 4612213/4, 7902879
2. Ayomide Falade
Lawfields Solicitors and Advocates
3. Mrs. Dorcas Odunnaike
DA Odunnaike Chambers
DIVORCE ATTORNEY RECOMMENDATIONS (USA)
1.EBITU LAW GROUP, P.C.
Attorney Unwam Oduok
2. KAFOR LAW FIRM
Attorney Yvonne Kafor
New York & New Jersey
3. FRANCES NICOTRA LAW FIRM
Attorney Frances Nicotra
Photo Credits: Linda Ikeji, TheNetng
- Tobore Ovuorie v. Ebonylife TV: Why Mo Abudu is Most Likely Liable for Copyright Infringement
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company