It is sad to hear the news that Tupac Shakur’s mother Afeni Shakur is dead. I know for us at AML, we had an account of how very generous and kind she was to many, including to one of the top entertainment lawyers in the country Dina LaPolt. May her soul rest in peace.
La Polt had the following to say about the news, “”Afeni was such a big part of my early professional life as a lawyer… I will miss her dearly.”
Find an excerpt of the news story below:
“Afeni Shakur Davis, mother of late rap legend Tupac Shakur who was the subject of one of his most iconic songs and who oversaw his posthumous legacy, has died. She was 69 years old.
Marin County deputies responded to Shakur’s home in Sausalito, Calif., Monday night after she suffered a possible cardiac arrest, the sheriff’s office said Tuesday morning. She was taken to a local hospital and died just before 10:30 p.m.”
Full story on New York Daily Show.
Listen to La Polt’s Interview with AML where she shares Afeni’s influence on her career.
Photocredit: The Source
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives
- AML 139: Beyonce’s ‘Black is King’: Merch & Music Royalties for the African Artist
- @NYPost Please Correct your Misleading Headline Stating a “Beyonce-Endorsed Burna Boy Makes Afrobeat go International”