News broke yesterday that Kanye West was insisting D’Banj reconcile with Don Jazzy or face being ejected from G.O.O.D Music, ‘Ye’s record label. If you are just joining me, D’Banj and Don Jazzy are popular musicians and music entrepreneurs out of Nigeria. They had over a decade of strong friendship and business partnership and during the course of their relationships, revolutionized Nigeria’s music industry. In December of 2011 and early January of 2012, rumors emerged of their nasty split. It didn’t take too long, shortly after, for the nasty split to play out in the public.
Don Jazzy and D’Banj co-owned Mo’Hits Records. Both are now on their solo paths with Jazzy restructuring to form Mavin Records, while D’Banj is yet to concretely announce what exactly he is doing , business wise, he has been busy with promotions of his hit single produced by Don Jazzy called ‘Oliver Twist.’ He has also allegedly formed a record label, although no official announcements have been made, and has allegedly signed one or two acts.
As to the rumored reconciliation mandated by Kanye West, Don Jazzy denies it. Also, we don’t need Don Jazzy to tell us it is false. D’Banj has signed legal agreements drawn up by US lawyers in his business dealings with Kanye West. I am 110% sure no legal colleague of mine would draft a contract, in behalf of Kanye West, that requires that D’Banj reconcile with Don Jazzy as a condition for engaging and maintaining a business relationship with Don Jazzy. It is simply dumb, unacceptable practice of law and unheard of.
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives