As you all know by now, Meek Mill and Drake had a recent and unnecessary “beef” with each other that flooded the music industry and mainstream media this past week. The dust has barely settled and now it is alleged that Nollywood distributors in Alaba market (a distribution hub/center) plan to release a movie appropriating/infringing on the trade names of these rap artists, but featuring Nollywood stars.
Now, if you think this is a joke, would you still hold that opinion if you found out this is a common pattern and practice in Nollywood? Reference movies like Nollywood’s Beyonce v. Rihanna and Lady Gaga below.
It is my understanding the stars whose names and likeness have been used on the poster say they have never authorized the use of their identities without consent.
Beyonce v. Rihanna – complete with copyright infringement of Beyonce’s music
- Tobore Ovuorie v. Ebonylife TV: Why Mo Abudu is Most Likely Liable for Copyright Infringement
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company