Celebrities Behaving Badly (CBB) documents terrible, immature and/or inappropriate conduct on and off social media by creative talents, mostly celebrities, and uses it as a way of discussing, primarily, public relations and branding for artists. On to today’ s post…
Omawumi Megbele aka Omawumi, a Nigerian musician and public figure, granted a request for an interview from a journalist at “Da Chat,” a show on HFtv Africa. All seems to go well until the interviewer asked and gave Omawumi the platform to negate rumors/allegations that she smoked and drank. Honestly, I thought I would see the sassy, silly and very funny Omawumi type of response. Perhaps she would even break into the local pidgin language and be so dismissive, consistent with her brand signature of keeping things local yet global, and being a proud Itsekiri woman.
Instead, Omawumi personalized the question, demands to know whether the journalist had witnessed her smoking and drinking, got angry and walked off the interview set.
Omawumi’s action was, in my view, wrong. I also think she took advantage of her personal relationship with the journalist as it appears they are friends. Further, her walking off the set just bought her unnecessary publicity, extends the rumor and detracts from a focus on her music. The story is now viral.
Watch the video below. Start at the 13min mark.
- AML 159: Meet Gary W. Goldstein, Iconic Hollywood Producer
- AML 158: Wizkid x Tems x Justin Bieber “Essence,” Drake CLB, Nextflix in Africa & More!
- AML 157: 1:1 Interview with Top Media Executive Fentselite on Life, Career & More!
- AML 156: How Bad Metadata Makes Artists Lose Out on Royalties with Keith Kirk
- AML 155: NFTs for Artists with David Bianchi, Creator of “The Modern Day-Minstrel” Show