Oye Akideinde (Oye) (Guest) is a media, tech and entertainment executive with over 20+ years experience in primarily the media, entertainment, technology, consumer goods, eBusiness, financial, and digital sectors.
Currently, he is the General Manager (GM) for ‘Music Services’ for the MTN Group, a multinational mobile telecommunications company, operating in Africa, Europe and Asia. As GM, Oye is responsible for strategically developing and managing key relationships to fulfill MTN’s vision of becoming Africa’s largest sustainable music ecosystem.
In recent times, he was also appointed as the CEO for MusicTime, MTN’s streaming app that allows users choose from a large catalog of local and international songs.
Prior to MTN, Oye was the Regional Director for West Africa’s Boomplay, a subsidiary of Transsnet Music Limited. Under his leadership, he helped launch and build the brand from ground up in Nigeria, and at the time of his departure, was successful in helping the brand acquire over 50 million users for its streaming app, within a span of 4 years of its launch.
Oye has been recognized by diverse organization for his immense contribution to the media, music and technology industries, including being the recipient of Marketing Edge’s 2018 ‘Digital Entertainment Innovator’ award, being listed as 2016’s Avance Media’s ‘100 Most Influential Young Nigerians’, and MeetsMedia ‘Media Personality of September 2016.’
Oye is also the co-founder of the successful Nigerian media company 360nobs.com, and the founder of two other start-ups.
He holds a specialist degree in ‘General Music Studies’ from the Berklee School of Music, U.S.A, an MSc in ‘Business Information Systems’ from the University of Hertfordshire, U.K and a BSc in Computer Science from the University of Lagos, Nigeria.
Oye joins host, producer and founder of ‘The Africa Music Law podcast show, Ms. Uduak, on the 130th episode to discuss the digital evolution of the Nigerian music business. Artists, take notes, everyone enjoy and share.
Uduak Oduok, (Moderator) founder of Africa Music Law, is a Partner and Co-Founder of Ebitu Law Group, P.C. where she handles her firm’s intellectual property law, media, business, fashion, and entertainment law practice areas. For fifteen years, as an attorney, she has litigated a wide variety of cases in California courts. She has also handled a variety of entertainment deals for clients in the USA, Africa and Asia including network television and licensing deals. Her work and contributions to the creative industry have been recognized by numerous organizations including the National Bar Association and featured in prestigious legal publications in the USA: ABA Journal and The California Lawyer Magazine. She can be reached via email (email@example.com) or on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook with the @msuduak handle.
- State of the music industry
- Personal background.
- How Oye broke into the tech and music industry.
- His career trajectory including transitioning from Spinlet to Boomplay to MTN.
- Criticisms of MTN and its relationships with content providers including musicians.
- Impact of Xenophobic attacks on MTN doing business in Nigeria.
- Predictions on the future of digital music in Africa and impact on stakeholders.
Where to Find Oye Akideinde
Where to Find Host Ms.Uduak
Rate us on iTunes
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives