AML people, a question for you. Should an artist walk away from a label whose owner gains very negative publicity for domestic violence?
Here are the facts:
- Patoranking is a successful artist slowly but surely gaining global recognition.
- He is signed to Foston Musik, a label in Nigeria whose owner is Foston Utomi.
- A few weeks ago, Utomi became the focus of attention when his ex-wife of only one year released statements and photos revealing that he was nothing short of a monster in their relationship.
- Once released, the story went viral and headlines became associated with Patoranking as a point of reference.
- Of equal significance is that Patoranking, through his music, has been an advocate of stopping violence against women.
Is this a license for Patoranking to walk away from an otherwise valid contract? Let me know your thoughts.
By the way, I have to say that while the numbers are not encouraging, I am happy that there is a shift in Nigerian society and its diaspora communities for a zero tolerance of domestic violence. I am happy that men and women are speaking up and holding perpetrators of this crime accountable. It’s only a matter of time, I believe, that local law enforcement in Nigeria will also begin taking these situations seriously. I am optimistic.
Also visit PROJECT R.A.W directly on their website to get in touch with someone that can help you if you or someone you know is in domestic violence situation (verbal/emotional and/or physical).
The Utomi allegation
Photo credit/description: Utomi & Ex-wife’s pre-wedding photo which was also featured on BellaNaija Weddings
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives