The internet has been ablaze, all day, with the accusation that American singer Pia Mia stole Nigerian rapper Phyno’s song titled “I am a fan.” The specific media house leading with this story is Nigerian media house TheNet.ng. Since TheNet.ng published this story, it has gone viral and Nigerians have heaped insults and abuse on Pia Mia, calling her a thief. In the 98th episode of The Africa Music Law Show, host, and producer, Ms. Uduak takes on the allegation and also discusses a new version by Pulse.ng claiming that Pia Mia did not steal Phyno’s song. Ms. Uduak also discusses legal liability if in fact TheNet.ng’s story is “fake news.”
Phyno ft. DeCarlo and Mr. Eazi
Pia Mia – I’m a Fan (Audio) ft. Jeremih
About Ms. Uduak
Uduak Oduok (Ms. Uduak), the founder of Africa Music Law, is a Partner and Co-Founder of Ebitu Law Group, P.C. where she handles her firm’s intellectual property law, media, business, fashion, and entertainment law practice areas. For over fifteen years, as an attorney, she has litigated a wide variety of cases in California courts. She has also handled a variety of entertainment deals for clients in the USA, Africa and Asia including network television and licensing deals. Her work and contributions to the creative industry have been recognized by numerous organizations including the National Bar Association and featured in prestigious legal publications in the USA: ABA Journal and The California Lawyer Magazine. She can be reached via email (email@example.com) or on twitter: @uduaklaw.
- The allegations and parties.
- The Nigerian & U.S. Copyright Acts.
- The specific legal right at issue.
- Legal liability if in fact any of the claims of theft are true.
- Legal liability if TheNet.ng’s news is fake news.
Where to Find Ms.Uduak
About The Africa Music Law Show with Ms. Uduak
Hosted by California-based Fashion & Entertainment Lawyer Uduak Oduok (Ms. Uduak), The Africa Music Law show is a show empowering the African artist through brilliant music business and entertainment law commentary and analysis, industry news, and exclusive interviews. The show has been downloaded over 200,000 times and made iTunes top 4 ‘New & Noteworthy.’ Subscribers include Africa & Hollywood’s power executives, investors, lawyers, artists and other industry stakeholders. The blog itself has been cited in a U.S. top-ranked law school’s ‘International Law Review’ journal. Country demographic: Nigeria (26%), USA (23%), UK (15%), UAE (7%), and Other (29%).
Rate us on iTunes
Sponsorship and/or Guest Appearance
Please send email to: (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- AML 158: Wizkid x Tems x Justin Bieber “Essence,” Drake CLB, Nextflix in Africa & More!
- AML 157: 1:1 Interview with Top Media Executive Fentselite on Life, Career & More!
- AML 156: How Bad Metadata Makes Artists Lose Out on Royalties with Keith Kirk
- AML 155: NFTs for Artists with David Bianchi, Creator of “The Modern Day-Minstrel” Show
- AML 154: Los Changuitos Feos – How a Group of Tucson Boys Helped Take Mariachi Music Global