Ruggedman is a rapper. He has now diversified his portfolio to include a clothing label. Almost two weeks ago, I wrote a short sweet post on how I was digging his new collection, despite allegations of copyright infringement. I wish he also nailed it when it comes to the official launch of his clothing brand. Ruggedman launches his clothing line on October 29th, 2011 with a launch party. His target audience include women for his female line. Yet, his sponsors are and media partners are overwhelming music brands/labels with no true fashion media present. Like who does that? Where is WOW! Magazine, Complete Fashion Magazine, Stylehouse Files, among other local publications. *Rolls eyes*
Musicians, it is like a designer saying they want to be a musician, they launch an album but all of their media sponsors and partners are fashion designers. Like who does that? The better strategy is to invite predominantly fashion media as partners and sponsors, while your fellow musicians and music brands are invited guests at your event. You can then add maybe 2-5 key music sponsors/partners.
Throughout the life of your clothing brand, especially for your female brand, you will be pushing your clothing line and shoes through fashion media, you might want to get acquainted from the start. Talk about basic fashion media relations.
- Tobore Ovuorie v. Ebonylife TV: Why Mo Abudu is Most Likely Liable for Copyright Infringement
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company