In the last few weeks, the public and media have been awash with news stories of ugly clashes between record labels and artists; as a result of record deals gone south. Examples include Chocolate City’s M.I Abaga versus Milli, Runtown versus EricMany Ltd., and Skales versus Baseline Records. In the 80th episode of The Africa Music Law Show, host Ms. Uduak shares 7 deadly sins every Nigerian artist must stop committing when signing a record contract; to avoid the ugly clashes we have seen.
7 Deadly sins
- Being too desperate to sign a contract.
- Having zero leverage at the bargaining table.
- Having zero knowledge of the music business.
- Signing a cut and paste western record contract a label found online.
- Failing to research the background of a label or investor.
- Receiving an advance and not expecting a label to recoup its investment.
- Not hiring a competent entertainment lawyer.
About The Africa Music Law Show with Ms. Uduak
Hosted by California based Fashion & Entertainment Lawyer Uduak Oduok (Ms. Uduak), The Africa Music Law show is a show empowering the African artist through brilliant music business and entertainment law commentary and analysis, industry news, and exclusive interviews. The show has been downloaded over 100,000 times and made iTunes top 4 ‘New & Noteworthy.’ Subscribers include Africa & hollywood’s power executives, investors, lawyers, artists and other industry stakeholders. The blog itself has been cited in a U.S. top-ranked law school’s ‘International Law Review’ journal. Country demographic: Nigeria (26%), USA (23%), UK (15%), UAE (7%), and Other (29%).
Where to Find Ms.Uduak
Rate us on iTunes
Sponsorship and/or Guest Appearance
Please send email to: (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thanks for Listening!
If you enjoyed the show, please share on your social media pages and with friends and family. Also if you have any questions, please feel free to send an email to (email@example.com).
- AML 159: Meet Gary W. Goldstein, Iconic Hollywood Producer
- AML 158: Wizkid x Tems x Justin Bieber “Essence,” Drake CLB, Nextflix in Africa & More!
- AML 157: 1:1 Interview with Top Media Executive Fentselite on Life, Career & More!
- AML 156: How Bad Metadata Makes Artists Lose Out on Royalties with Keith Kirk
- AML 155: NFTs for Artists with David Bianchi, Creator of “The Modern Day-Minstrel” Show