Shei Funmi is one of the bravest individuals you will ever meet and/or talk to. A media and entertainment industry influencer who began enjoying global recognition and success in his late teens, even attracting American celebrity followers on social media such as Lady Gaga. Shei Funmi has worked with top African and western entertainment, fashion, and creative brands. Prior to lending his skills to diverse music artists and agencies he was a music and pop culture reporter for MTV UK/MTV – The Wrap Up.
Shei Funmi adds recording artist to his impressive resume and joins Ms. Uduak on the 108th episode of The Africa Music Law show to discuss his debut single ‘NOW or NEVER’ off his forthcoming #ANXIOLYTIC EP produced by Jyinio. ‘NOW or NEVER’ is a one of a kind track that ushers in a nostalgic vibe of 90s R’n’B meet millennial pop with a gigantic impact of music artists from the 80s (Prince, Depeche Mode, Marc Almond). With Sheifunmi‘s vocal texture and vulnerability, the track adds to the continuous evolution in Nigerian music/sounds. Shei also discusses the aftermath of sharing, publicly, his childhood sexual abuse by an uncle, dealing with and overcoming drug addiction, mental health issues, becoming an activist by creating safe spaces for other men with parallel histories, working on with top entertainment brands, and so much more.
- Latest industry news and legal commentary by Ms. Uduak (Gidifest, Falz, Wizkid, Eric Many v. Runtown, Wale, King Sunny Ade v. Davido etc.)
- Shei Funmi Interview (Begins at the 18:00 min mark).
- Shei breaks down the song structure and inspiration behind his debut single ‘Now and Never’.
- Shei discusses the aftermath of revealing, publicly, his childhood sexual abuse trauma by an Uncle.
- Shei discusses dealing with and overcoming drug addiction.
- Dealing with and learning to manage mental health issues.
- Substance abuse and mental health issues in Nigeria’s music industry.
- Creating safe spaces for abused men to share their stories and begin their journies to healing.
- Other projects.
Where to Find Shei Funmi
About The Africa Music Law Show
Hosted by California-based Fashion & Entertainment Lawyer Uduak Oduok (Ms. Uduak), The Africa Music Law show is a show empowering the African artist through brilliant music business and entertainment law commentary and analysis, industry news, and exclusive interviews. The show has been downloaded over 200,000 times and made iTunes top 4 ‘New & Noteworthy.’ Subscribers include Africa & Hollywood’s power executives, investors, lawyers, artists and other industry stakeholders. The blog itself has been cited in a U.S. top-ranked law school’s ‘International Law Review’ journal. Country demographic: Nigeria (26%), USA (23%), UK (15%), UAE (7%), and Other (29%).
About Ms. Uduak
Uduak Oduok (Ms. Uduak), the founder of Africa Music Law, is a Partner and Co-Founder of Ebitu Law Group, P.C. where she handles her firm’s intellectual property law, media, business, fashion, and entertainment law practice areas. For almost seventeen years, in her role as an attorney, she has litigated a wide variety of cases in California courts. She has also handled a variety of entertainment deals for clients in the USA, Africa and Asia including network television and licensing deals. Her work and contributions to the creative industry have been recognized by numerous organizations including the National Bar Association and featured in prestigious legal publications in the USA: ABA Journal and The California Lawyer Magazine. She can be reached via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or on twitter: @uduaklaw.
Where to Find Ms.Uduak
Rate us on iTunes
Sponsorship and/or Guest Appearance
Please send email to (email@example.com)
- AML 145: Burna Boy, Wizkid Grammy Wins & What it Means for Africa’s Music Industry
- AML144: #StopAsianHate Roundtable
- AML143: #EndSars Human Rights Lawyers on the Frontline (Panel)
- Tobore Ovuorie v. Ebonylife TV: Why Mo Abudu is Most Likely Liable for Copyright Infringement
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society