Ringback tones are a great source of revenue for telecommunications operators in Nigeria. This year alone, South African telecommunications giant MTN anticipates $70-80 million in revenue, a 50% growth.
“When you call a Nigerian number, there’s a good chance you’ll hear music playing. Ringback tones cost just 25 cents a month, but artists, record labels, and telecom companies are raking in millions.”
Watch the CNNMoney video clip below to learn more about this lucrative music licensing scheme for the music industry and telecom operators.
- African and global superstars celebrate Africa Day Concert 2021
- AML 151: Meet Emem Ema, the Artist Manager Extraordinaire Managing Mr. P
- AML 150: Mental Health & Substance Abuse in the Afrobeats Music Industry
- AML 149: Intellectual Property, Race and Unjust Music Contracts with Prof. Kevin J. Greene
- AML 148: The Business of Music in Ethiopia with Negus Alemu & Leyla Konjo