Ringback tones are a great source of revenue for telecommunications operators in Nigeria. This year alone, South African telecommunications giant MTN anticipates $70-80 million in revenue, a 50% growth.
“When you call a Nigerian number, there’s a good chance you’ll hear music playing. Ringback tones cost just 25 cents a month, but artists, record labels, and telecom companies are raking in millions.”
Watch the CNNMoney video clip below to learn more about this lucrative music licensing scheme for the music industry and telecom operators.
- AML 145: Burna Boy, Wizkid Grammy Wins & What it Means for Africa’s Music Industry
- AML144: #StopAsianHate Roundtable
- AML143: #EndSars Human Rights Lawyers on the Frontline (Panel)
- Tobore Ovuorie v. Ebonylife TV: Why Mo Abudu is Most Likely Liable for Copyright Infringement
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society