On March 31, 2016, pop artist Tiwa Savage was an invited speaker at the Youth Enterprise Conference, held at Eko Hotel & Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos. During her speech, she shared her journey towards becoming the African pop artist she is today. She also shared her personal experience with sexual harassment, and the realities that women face in the entertainment industry.
Needless to say, I believe the industry must be a place where women can and do thrive. We have so many talented women and it is appalling that many are blocked from pursuing their dreams because of sexual harassment, and violence when they refuse these sexual advances. We must change this current status quo. Read an excerpt of what Tiwa had to say below:
“The Nigerian music industry is awash with tales of men asking for sex from female artistes before giving them any form of assistance. It was not different for Tiwa Savage in the early days of her career. This much the singer revealed to Entertainer.
“Recounting her experience, Tiwa Savage continued: “A lot of times they said that they wanted to help me but actually they wanted me to do ‘something’ with them. Luckily I had a crazy boyfriend who ended up being my husband. He just shot them down.
“If you are really talented and good at what you do and you have God behind you, don’t give in to that kind of temptation. I guarantee you that your talent will make a way for you. The same people will be the ones calling and you will even get more than you ever imagined if you don’t give in.”
KemiFilani.com has the full statements.
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives