This story is a sad yet common one, especially in Nigeria. It is indeed what a classic Nollywood movie is made of.
In our true life story, a young successful media personality and self proclaimed relationship expert thinks she has it all until it turns out her husband is cheating on her with an ex-girlfriend turned mistress. Worse, the husband impregnates his mistress, flies her to the UK to birth their child, and moves her into his matrimonial home. The only thing that changes in this real life drama is that the wife of the cheating husband doesn’t insist on being in the marriage. She doesn’t remain indefinitely till she is a completely shadow of herself. She doesn’t consult with native doctors or do voodoo to kill the mistress. She takes the time needed to work through her feelings and then she makes her move. She files for divorce.
The ending, the divorce, is one that is now becoming the order of the day. Today’s Nigerian woman seeks her own autonomy, is aware of her self worth and after she reaches her limit, she doesn’t check out and hide behind the veil of children; or suppress her voice and identity for fear of shame, stigma etc. She says, “I’d rather be single and happy than married and dead,” figuratively and literally speaking.
I wish Toke Makinwa much success in her love department in the nearest future.
In the meantime, one of the top inquiries I receive from Nigeria, on a weekly basis, is “my husband beats me, how do I file for a divorce?” To learn about the grounds for divorce in Nigeria, click here.
Read the divorce petition below exclusively published by Linda Ikeji.
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives