Hey AML people, happy Friday! What’s good? I’ve got a really cool industry insider interview, stateside right here in the USA, to share with you all. Look out for that next week. In the meantime, Chris Brown just dropped his latest album and of course has been on his media/publicity tour. He recently stopped by Hot 97 and gave one of the best interviews I have seen Chris Brown give, if at all.
I must say, hands down, I prefer the crew at Hot 97 than the Breakfast Club. They just know how to ask the right questions that cut to the heart of the reality of being an artist in this music industry game. Ebro, if you are reading this, solid work mennh. I love your interviews. You are on it. You get in there and do so from all angles, and intelligently too.
Folks, here are some important highlights from his radio appearance that I think you all may like:
1.On being a better dancer than Usher: I loved his sense of humor when the host said Usher could dance better than Chris. Chris said, “I’m Iverson when Iverson crossed Jordan.” Ouch! LOL! I like quick comebacks and that was nice.
2. On Music Business and Dealmaking: On to more serious music business yarns. Chris says he charges $250,000.00 for a feature and also keeps part of his music publishing. If the artist cannot afford to pay him that much and proposes say $30,000.00, he takes at least 50% publishing.
Chris discusses the leverage he now enjoys which makes him co-owner of his songs with his label.
4. On the impact of his Criminal Case on his Money: for that single mistake he made as an eighteen year old i.e. Rihanna battery and assault case, he says he lost almost $20million in endorsement deals.
5.On his mental and emotional health: he talks about drug use and the corresponding lack of professionalism, his realization of who really has his back i.e. Karrueche, forgiving himself and trying on to move on.
6. On maintaining a respectful working relationship with fellow artists: He says he basically matured and called off the immature beef with Drake.
7. On Touring: He discusses his upcoming tour with Treysongz
There is so much to discern from and learn, for all of you AML artists.
Chris, mennnh, you are gonna need to pull back with those twitter fights and the fights in general. Listen to Ebro more. That’s a good man in your corner.
Everyone, watch the video and I’mma catch you all next week.
Have a great weekend ahead.
Warning: Strong Language Used
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives
- AML 139: Beyonce’s ‘Black is King’: Merch & Music Royalties for the African Artist
- @NYPost Please Correct your Misleading Headline Stating a “Beyonce-Endorsed Burna Boy Makes Afrobeat go International”