I received this video from Wax, an artist who is actually from Cameroon but now calls South Africa home. Wax was actually featured in Ladybrille Magazine two years ago. When I received his video, I thought to share it with you all for many reasons:
1. Nigeria’s music and sound is really infectious and continues to make inroads both on the continent, here in the USA, and globally. Its influence cannot be ignored and Wax’s ‘Naija Mix’ further underscores this point;
2. The industry is still young but make no mistake, you all have to be about the business of music and music law. It is indeed why AML exists; and
3. As the industry lays out a more professional structure and becomes even more educated on Intellectual Property rights and enforcement, it will be very interesting to see how it all plays out as more African nations adopt the Nigerian music sound.
Very interesting times ahead on all fronts and I look forward to what lies ahead, especially on a litigation front.
I love what Wax did with his Naija mix. Take a listen. I can’t help but think of P-Square’s ‘No One Like You’ on the intro beat. This is a guaranteed hit with cross over appeal across the continent.
“Wax Dey aka Nde Ndifonka has evolved from a prolific music producer and jazz performer to one of Africa’s finest urban artists. He presents this new single, “Will you be my wifey” which will feature on the upcoming Touchdown326 Naija Mix (South Africa), dedicated to the young, grown & sexy! The video features TBo Touch, and Big Brother ex-hosuemate, Nkuli. Follow Wax Dey on Twitter: @Waxdey – (c) Lolhiphop Records”
Wax – Will You Be My Wife
P-Square – No One Like You
- Tobore Ovuorie v. Ebonylife TV: Why Mo Abudu is Most Likely Liable for Copyright Infringement
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company