This Wizkid, EME, Disturbing London (DL), Star Boi and Konvict situation is one I will place in a special virtual AML folder and then revisit when all that I anticipate will happen, happens. Make no mistake about it, there is a lot of money to be made with the Kid and we have not heard the last of it from all the players above.
Nevertheless, it is interesting that with EME still involved, an interview is conducted in London orchestrated by Tinie Tempah’s DL with a brand (Okay Nigeria TV) that heavily targets Nigerian celebrities and Nigerians in Nigeria. It is also interesting that there is a big glaring ‘Disturbing London’ logo that serves as a backdrop for Wizkid’s interview for this brand that heavily targets Nigerians in Nigeria. Even Okay Nigeria has to make do with just watermarking the video in the editing with their logo.
In the substance of the video, Wizkid talks about a preference for studying ‘Music Business’ if he had a chance to return to school. He discusses his collaborations with Wale and Tinie Tempah, among others for his album to be released next year; and also discusses his performance with Chris Brown. My favorite thing about Wizkid is not even his music but his laughter. His laughter is funny to me. It makes me laugh.
Watch the Interview
- Why Beyonce Gets it Right in Depiction of Africans in ‘Already’ Video ft. Shatta Wale
- AML 138: Meet Adesola Titilayo, the Woman Simplifying Royalties Collection for African Artists
- AML 137: Meet Leyla Konjo, Africa’s Music Industry Top Booking Agent (Interview)
- AML 136: Interview with Cherie Hu, Music Journalist
- AML 135: Artist Manager Bond Stanley Ebigbo on New Book, ‘Grounded Ways to the Music Business.’