In a recent interview with Hip-TV, R&B singer & songwriter Seyi Shay was asked what ‘EP’ means. She responded with “I mean obviously EP stands for electric package.” The clip from that interview has since gone viral on social media sites and blogs with many fans and industry insiders shocked that she did not know what EP meant.
In my view, I doubt that Seyi Shay did not know what EP meant at the time she answered the question. Her body language and the way she responded to the question was in a playful manner. I would think that if she knew the host was serious, she would explain what it meant and also perhaps differentiate between an LP vs. an EP. However, watch the clip below and tell me what you think. She did say it is “just a short album” after her initial seemingly playful response.
For artists who may not know what it means, EP stands for Extended play. When an artist records music but does not have enough recordings for a full studio album, it is referred to as an EP. A good example is Eva Alordiah who regularly drops an EP. In fact, her last EP had only four songs and she called the album an EP. Full studio albums are referred to as an LP (Long play or Long playing).
I believe Seyi Shay is actually quite intelligent, she is very exposed and understands music and music business better than the average artist. Listen to her interview on AML and hear the intelligence ooze from her on the business of music.
Listen to Seyi Shay’s interview with AML. It was organic with impromptu questions and she rose to the occasion.
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives