Twenty (20) year old Davido, one of the top music artists in Nigeria whose record label I dubbed the #1 record label of 2012, released his latest single and video titled ‘Gobe,’ yesterday. In less than 24hours of releasing the song, he has been accused of copyright infringement of a lesser known artist and producer known as Password.
In statements by Nigerian music blog, Shizzy is said to be the producer of Davido’s version.
Folks, take a listen and then answer this questions: on its face, did Davido infringe/steal Password’s song?
NOTE: We do not have any facts beyond the releases of these two songs. An added fact can change this so called copyright infringement case. We would need to hear from the parties. So, just focus on the facts we are working with , for now, in making your decision.
Password’s ‘Gobe’ Version (2011)
Davido’s ‘Gobe’ Version (2013)
- Why Davido’s Termination of Lil’ Frosh’s Contract for Domestic Violence is a Powerful and Positive Change for Nigerian Society
- #EndSARS Protests and Your Legal Rights if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria
- AML142: The Business of Music in North Africa
- AML 141: Meet Camille Storm, Founder of C&C Distro, a Kenyan Music Distribution Company
- AML 140: Abiola Oke & Richelieu Dennis Sexual Harassment Claims: Lessons for Employers & Executives